Party Wall Advice

Party walls are shared walls separating buildings such as semi-detached and terraced houses. A floor separating two flats is a party structure.
 You must notify your neighbour if you are planning any extension or major structural alterations.

A loft extension, for example, will likely mean that supporting steels will have to be inserted into the party wall to support the new structure.  The building owner is entitled to do this, but he must give his neighbour formal and due notice.  An adjoining neighbour is allowed by law to appoint his own surveyor in order to protect his interests. In some cases neighbours can appoint an agreed surveyor who will act impartially for both parties and draws up an award specifying the works to be carried out.

Consult the RICS Consumer Guide to Party Walls for details of legal rights and requirements when considering work to party walls, and also Pyramus & Thisbe Club, the organisation for professionals specialising in party wall matters.

a Member of Pyramus & Thisbe Club and an experienced party wall surveyor, Mike Tibbatts can help minimise delays with architects and builders by ensuring that the correct notices are served on time and that accurate awards are made.